Have you ever spent some time thinking about who you really are? Maybe you’ve wondered about other people’s perception of you. Who you really are—your personal identity—is a powerful force in your life and speaks volumes to all those who you come into contact with.
Your identity plays an important part in every decision you make and all the relationships in your life.
Thinking about who you are will strengthen the connections between your mind, body, and behaviours. You can also get a good grip on where you are in life now, as well as where you’re headed.
Although there’s plenty of psychological theories out there about identity, including how it’s formed and how you maintain it, think about the following as basic elements of your identity:
1. Your family history. Where you were brought up, who you grew up with, and the experiences you had as you matured from an infant all the way through your early adult years are powerful factors affecting the development of your personal identity.
- Consider sayings like, “You can take the girl out of the city, but you can’t take the city out of the girl” and all this means. So where you’ve come from plays a major part in who you are.
- However, your history doesn’t have to be the end of the story when it comes to your present identity. An encouraging thing about life is that you can take steps to be the person you want to be at any time.
2. The “group” you hang out with. Much of who you are today comes down to the people you spend most of your time with. Your friends probably share interests in the same kinds of things you do.
- Maybe some of your friends play sports and you do too. You’re into fitness and a bit of a health nut and so are a few of your best mates. Or maybe you like a beer or a glass of wine and your friends are always up for that. Perhaps you associate the idea of “cliques” with your teen years, but it’s still true that we gravitate towards people who share our interests.
- You can be selective about the people you choose to hang out with. If you want to study and learn, you can look for those who spend time in libraries and taking classes. If you want to be successful, choose to make friends with those you view as good at their work and successful in life.
Find The Inner You! – E-BOOK – PERSONAL FULFILMENT THROUGH SELF-AWARENESS. Order now and find out who you really are!
3. Your physical appearance. Your clothes, hairstyle, and how you conduct yourself physically all combine to make up an important aspect of your personal identity. Although your appearance isn’t the only thing that’s relevant about who you are, the fact is that your physical state provides people with a good picture of who you are.
4. Your thoughts, feelings and beliefs about self. Your self-image is made up of how you feel about yourself as a person. It’s what you project about who you are. Also, what you believe to be true about yourself is a powerful force in finding your personal identity.
- For example, if you believe you’re an overweight, unattractive person, then you might unconsciously portray those characteristics toward others.
- But if you see yourself as someone who’s working hard to excel in her career and willing to give something to get something, you present a more positive identity to others.
- What you feel, think and believe about yourself are major aspects of your overall identity.
Make it a point to ponder over who you really are. Recognize that your personal identity is a complex mix of your history, affiliations, and thoughts and beliefs about yourself. How you appear to others is also a part of your identity.
Realize that you have considerable power to influence the type of identity you possess and show to others. Be positive and vow to be the best you can be!
This 58-Page E-book is packed full of all the help you need to discover yourself. Enhance your life and become the best version of You!
This very special E-Book is available for immediate download at the amazingly low price of ONLY £3.95!!!
Also included FREE are two worksheets. Use both of these extra tools to help you work through all this information and get to know yourself so much better along the way:
1. Find the Inner You Worksheet.
2. Relationship Patterns Worksheet.