Goal Setting is:
- The designing and setting of desired outcomes, guided by criteria such as S.M.A.R.T. principles, which make goals specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and timed.
- The development and implementation of action plans designed to motivate and guide progress towards set goals.
Goal setting involves:
- Being specific. Write your goal down exactly according to your desired performance outcome. What exactly do you want to achieve with this goal?
- Deciding how your goal will be measured. Use criteria such as amounts, timescales, dates and times so you can have a baseline against which to measure your success.
- Ensuring goals, you set are achievable. Your goals should push your comfort zone a little but not be so difficult that it isn’t possible for you to maintain confidence and motivation in what you are working to achieve.
- Setting goals that are relevant. Setting goals that aren’t relevant for you personally won’t feel rewarding on completion. To enjoy the process and stay motivated, it’s important that your goals reflect your personal ideals and are relevant to you.
- Deciding how long your goal should take to achieve and giving your goal a “due date” for completion. Break down big goals into small chunks and make each chunk measurable, as above.
When goal setting, you should:
- Set action plans. Plan to succeed, with a plan of action.
- Make regular small steps to progress. Every small step counts.
- Make every small step measurable and pat yourself on the back every time you achieve one of them. Then move on to the next.
- Be aware of distractions or external factors that get in the way, without letting those things affect your motivation. Accept, allow, integrate, re-focus.
- Remain flexible and allow the process to happen.
Have you ever got up in the morning and just wondered how you ended up with the life you have? Do you feel stuck in the same rut and routine, day after day, week after week, year after year? Are … More…
Here’s the thing, you’re just not going to like everyone you meet. Sometimes, the feeling will be mutual. Sometimes, you meet someone who just gets up your back. You instantly dislike each other and can barely avoid showing it. Other … More…
It is easy to give up the ghost when things don’t go your way. Like me, I know that you have been in situations where a difficult challenge has deflated your motivation and made it hard to keep going. Life … More…
Your beliefs about yourself and your life have more power over you than you can possibly imagine. The ideas and values you have held for a long time can block your way toward the life you truly desire. Here are … More…
If you often have definite ideas about how things are or how you think they should be, you’ve probably been told by someone to “keep an open mind.” Having, or developing, an open mind is important to everyone’s success in … More…
It goes without saying that, with the continuing coronavirus situation, many of us will be feeling powerless and frustrated, not knowing what will happen next or where this will all go. At other points in your life, you’ve no doubt … More…