Goal Setting is:
- The designing and setting of desired outcomes, guided by criteria such as S.M.A.R.T. principles, which make goals specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and timed.
- The development and implementation of action plans designed to motivate and guide progress towards set goals.
Goal setting involves:
- Being specific. Write your goal down exactly according to your desired performance outcome. What exactly do you want to achieve with this goal?
- Deciding how your goal will be measured. Use criteria such as amounts, timescales, dates and times so you can have a baseline against which to measure your success.
- Ensuring goals, you set are achievable. Your goals should push your comfort zone a little but not be so difficult that it isn’t possible for you to maintain confidence and motivation in what you are working to achieve.
- Setting goals that are relevant. Setting goals that aren’t relevant for you personally won’t feel rewarding on completion. To enjoy the process and stay motivated, it’s important that your goals reflect your personal ideals and are relevant to you.
- Deciding how long your goal should take to achieve and giving your goal a “due date” for completion. Break down big goals into small chunks and make each chunk measurable, as above.
When goal setting, you should:
- Set action plans. Plan to succeed, with a plan of action.
- Make regular small steps to progress. Every small step counts.
- Make every small step measurable and pat yourself on the back every time you achieve one of them. Then move on to the next.
- Be aware of distractions or external factors that get in the way, without letting those things affect your motivation. Accept, allow, integrate, re-focus.
- Remain flexible and allow the process to happen.
In this post, I am offering a bit of tough love, for those it may help. There are some things you may not want to hear. That is okay. You will be much better off for knowing them, once you … More…
Surviving for as long as you can is something all ‘life’ naturally strives for, whether human or any other form. But you can miss out on a lot that life has to offer if you spend an unhealthy amount of … More…
Think about all the things you want to do with your life. You carry inside you, dreams, and visions of the kind of future you really want. Think of all those things you want to achieve. And there they sit, … More…
Have you ever got up in the morning and just wondered how you ended up with the life you have? Do you feel stuck in the same rut and routine, day after day, week after week, year after year? Are … More…
Here’s the thing, you’re just not going to like everyone you meet. Sometimes, the feeling will be mutual. Sometimes, you meet someone who just gets up your back. You instantly dislike each other and can barely avoid showing it. Other … More…
It is easy to give up the ghost when things don’t go your way. Like me, I know that you have been in situations where a difficult challenge has deflated your motivation and made it hard to keep going. Life … More…