Visualisations (Mental Imagery)
Visualising can help you in many ways:
- Imagining yourself doing something can help you to get better at doing it.
- Imagery can help you to keep calm and focused during difficult interactions.
- You can mentally rehearse maintaining a calm and assertive composure while the other person is trying to ignore or distract you.
- You can use imagery to envision success, thus boosting your motivation and confidence.
- Visualising can help you to feel calmer and to manage stress.
When visualising, you should:
- Use all of your five senses. Many people assume that visualising or mental imagery is only about ‘seeing’ but you will achieve much more if you use all your senses. What can you see, hear, feel, smell, or taste in your mind when you visualise?
- Make your mental imagery real. Live your virtualisation as if it is actually happening.
- Live your virtualisation from your own perspective and not as if you are observing yourself from the outside.
- Focus on the positive as you imagine every step of your unfolding imagery.
- Feel the results of your visualisations like it’s a reality right now.
- Give your visualisations more power by writing them down. Know that as you write, they become reality in your world.
Have you ever got up in the morning and just wondered how you ended up with the life you have? Do you feel stuck in the same rut and routine, day after day, week after week, year after year? Are … More…
Here’s the thing, you’re just not going to like everyone you meet. Sometimes, the feeling will be mutual. Sometimes, you meet someone who just gets up your back. You instantly dislike each other and can barely avoid showing it. Other … More…
It is easy to give up the ghost when things don’t go your way. Like me, I know that you have been in situations where a difficult challenge has deflated your motivation and made it hard to keep going. Life … More…
Your beliefs about yourself and your life have more power over you than you can possibly imagine. The ideas and values you have held for a long time can block your way toward the life you truly desire. Here are … More…
If you often have definite ideas about how things are or how you think they should be, you’ve probably been told by someone to “keep an open mind.” Having, or developing, an open mind is important to everyone’s success in … More…
It goes without saying that, with the continuing coronavirus situation, many of us will be feeling powerless and frustrated, not knowing what will happen next or where this will all go. At other points in your life, you’ve no doubt … More…